AmigaActive (1661/2143)

From:Adam Eccleshall
Date:25 May 2000 at 17:00:33
Subject:Re: Tempted by Photogenics V4.x

Hiya,

Richard Lane wrote:
> Hello,
> I've just had a another read of the Photogenics 4.x review and a look at the
> web site, and I'm very tempted to buy it. Currently I own V2, which though
> good is a bit long in the tooth now (never did like those silly widget gadget
> thingys). Anyone else got the latest version and care to comment on it?

Well, I upgraded to 4.2 after v2 (from the Magic Pack) kept
crashing on my GFX card. Although the crashes are nowhere near
as frequent since patching it to 4.4 from the web site, there are
still a few small problems (it crashed the other day when I was
merging a couple of pictures.

Sometimes it can be a bit slow, but given what it's doing, it's
to be expected from a 040/40.

The fire effects are fun to play with. I specifically went out
and took some photos of buildings to be butchered with those ones
3^D

Some of the effects are very cool- I particularly like the burn
through effect (more fire :)).

The UI is still a bit dodgy, IMO. If you remove an options page
from it's window and give it its own window, the little icon from
its click tab doesn't show up in the new window, and it doesn't
reappear if you move it back to the old window (I hope that bit
made sense). It doesn't afftect the functionality of course, but
it is a minor niggle. There's also a couple of buttons that look
odd, but that's just my opinion on the aesthetics, and it doesn't
actually affect the package at all.

All in all, it's a great piece of software.

> Apart from the obvious what other stuff is on the CD, fonts etc.

There's a small galery, produced by Paul Nolan, Eric Schwartz and
Rod Volkmar (!?!), and a small selection of sample images showing
off the various effects.

Also included is OpenURL for handling opening the help files, as
well as demos of AWeb and IBrowse for actually viewing the help
files.

No fonts that I can see.

> Best Regards, Richard Lane -

C'ya